My Experience of a Workshop Last Year ( Part-1 )


 

  

     It began by a normal link that was shared to one of the messenger group I was in. The link brought me to a page. It was a form, an application form. It was issued by an NGO named YUWA. YUWA has been actively involved in social activities for more than 10 years and has provided many positive results.

(Established in 2009, YUWA is a registered not for profit, purely youth run and led organization working to promote youth participation through empowerment and advocacy. YUWA was born out of a group of committed youths, unofficially working in this sector since 2005. The initial focus was to develop leadership skills of the involved youths, to train as youth activists and to advocate for change, thus resulting into a wide and diverse array of knowledge, skills and experience in this sector. It led to the realization of the seriousness of youth issues and the need to act, which, finally took the shape of YUWA.)

     The application form was for the selection of candidates who would be participating in a workshop titled " Youth Leadership and Data Collection ". Well this seemed huge and it was in fact huge. Only 20 candidates were to be selected among hundreds and thousands of applicants of Gandaki province. Not to forget that  Pokhara city itself had people of high caliber and potentiality. I was familiar with some people who would definitely fill that form and get selected. I'd already attended a couple of social events and programme and got acquainted with some high contributing personalities. Compared to them, I stood no chance, But the application suggested that it would favor new faces. Well, there I saw a hope. But still I was afraid. A fear was born in lord knows which corner of my heart that made me completely ignore the form for a month.

     A month went by, I was with my friends in the college field. We were making plots for tomato research. While we were resting,I informed them about the form of YUWA. Two of them got interested. They said "Let's do it". Let's fill the form, who knows we might get selected. Lets give it a try. Motivated by their response I too, finally filled the form. We helped each other while answering some of the questions.

   Few days later, we had totally forgotten about the workshop. Then one morning my friend showed me an email confirming his selection through the first stage. My other friend also confirmed his selection. I then rushed over my phone and checked my email. And there it was, the email of selection. All three of us were happy. But there still remained a hurdle. The second stage of selection which was going to be an interview. We were informed it can happen in a day or two. 

     This created a doubt in me. I was very anxious. I was confused and wasn't sure if I wanted this. But with my new principle about facing the fear, about doing what scares you, I calmed myself and I didn't succumb to the fear. 

     It was at the same day at the evening, one of my friends received a call congratulating him for the selection. Just after him my other friend got the call. And you guessed it, at last, I too got the call confirming my selection. Getting all the three friends selected has a separate level of joy and content. Later we came to know that two more friends of ours were selected. We were a total of 5 among 20 participants of the same college.

Previous
Next Post »